Thursday, December 23, 2010

My "NOT TO DO " List

Ok, stealing another post idea. This time from my friend Deanna.  Who, I believe, stole it from someone else..... love how this works.

Her not to do list gives her permission to let go of the guilt of the "shoulds" and "didn't get around to its" and focus on what is truly important.

God has gifted me with some serious perspective this year (that's another post... might skip it though, it's kinda heavy.) and so I have actually done a much better job this year than last.... but I'm still very human and very much under the influence of the "super mom" ideal....... so I love Deanna for this encouragement and grace check!

Here's my list:
1. I will not grouch at myself when taking the time to "do the right thing" makes me late for "doing the have to" thing. (Sorry kids for grouching about traffic yesterday.)

2. I will not feel guilty for not doing ALL of our list of activities.... we've done so much and we've done the ones we really wanted to and we've done many things on the spur of the moment that were so much fun! I'm tossing the checklist out the window!

3. I will not feel guilty for using a month's worth of butter in 2 weeks because the end result was lots and lots of yummmy cookies and biscuits that we've eaten and shared and loved...... and I might even go buy more so I can make more too! :D

4. I will not allow anything to steal the sense of joy and love and peace I have when I sit and marinate in My Father's Presence knowing that He alone understands me fully, created me 'specially, and adores me completely........ and He feels that way about each and every one of my "babies"(I do know that they are technically too old to be babies.... cut me slack on this:D), so much more than I can even imagine! And I LOVE that He has gifted me with a glimpse of the depth of what drowning in His love means!!! WOW! I hope I never come up for air.

5. I will NOT stress about the state of my house.... NO MATTER how unkempt it gets on Christmas Day... giggle, giggle and NO MATTER who is coming that WILL notice the details I miss tomorrow as I clean! lol You know who I'm talking about :) hahahaha, We'll eat, we'll talk, we'll enjoy each other's company.... check the guilt with the coat at the door!

6. And finally, I will not forget the precious faces, stories, and footprints I have met and fallen in love with this past year....the butterflies spending their first Christmas with Jesus and the mommies and daddies that are walking around in the fog I was in last year, the ones whose hearts are ripped to unidentifiable shreds..... I remember. I love. I bring your names before the Father everyday with tears. I also remember and diligently pray for each rainbow on the way... all of them. I countdown to your due date with you, I celebrate with tears every healthy birth and adoption.... and yes, I pray as diligently over every adoption in the works just as I pray over every rainbow in the works. I may not say it out loud a lot.... but my heart and mind NEVER forget. EVER.

Love you all.... Have a Merry Christmas full of God's best for you, the deepest drenching in His Presence that you have ever known. I hope you all create your own "not to do" list! And find forgiveness and grace and peace in the midst of the insanity and chaos that can be a part of this year!

LOTS of love to you, Deanna, for sharing this!!! :D

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Ahh, I love that "the list" was a blessing to you as well! :) Merry Christmas.... love ya to pieces!!!!!!