Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Warning:D

I'm about to go "homeschool" on you:D not yet... you're safe for now.... but my friend who shall remain nameless for now, does some pretty amazing posts about her schedules and plans and daily routines! So, I'm thinking it'll motivate me if I post my intentions as well. I need the prodding seeing as how school, for us, will start August 2.

Sigh, next week we're doing our Cat5's! This week we're squeezing in some school in between basketball camp and football practice. Well, I'm making them read while I paint Glitter's room.... They need at least one week of "downtime"? Right?

I'm so ready to put this year behind me and start OVER! :D

If all goes the way it's supposed to, we do 17 weeks (of actual curriculum work) in the fall, 17 weeks in the spring and then spend the rest of our "school time" exploring and field tripping to museums/zoos/aquariums/science centers/caves and things like that. We also do a fun "study" of Jewish holidays around Christmas since our fall semester finishes the week of Thanksgiving. Don't be fooled though, I use that time to reinforce and review and pound into heads what we learned in first semester. We read a lot too but not all school takes place in a book! So the 6 weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year are put to good use in alternative ways.

Ahhhhhh, I'm ready for a new "normal" whatever that is.

Here's some pictures for you: oops, it's up there?!?!? ummm, from DC a few weeks ago.

IMAX movie...see? Learning takes place all the time!

DC National Gallery of Art... We even got some actual curriculum done that morning too! A full day of learning and fun crammed into one!

She was so hot and sweaty!! But, it was too hard to pass up, our lovely lady in front of  a lovely painting......

1 comment:

Tara said...

I like your approach! And that is exactly what I tell people when we spend a lot of days going places. School is not only about textbooks. It's about learning from life and exploring new places and things! I'm beginning to rethink my over scheduled plan...now who is making who think?