Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Summer School... and bribes.

What do you do when you have a tough year with school 2 years in a row? Summer school.

What do you do when you feel ridiculously guilty for having to do summer school? Bribes.

sooooooo, this is what we've been bribing our kids with :D.



Each day if they accomplish the basics (math and grammar) in the allotted time (2 hours) they receive a sticker and 3 pieces of candy- from the bucket. (yes, go ahead and faint! I'm actually letting my kids have sugar!! I can't believe it either.) After 5 days in a row, they get to choose one of the large candy choices (on the shelf next to the bucket). When they have successfully completed the needed number of lessons, they receive an item from the top shelf... each prize was chosen for a specific kiddo. The extra prizes are for reading books. The $5 and the Walmart gift cards are for reading books too.The playdoh giant pack is a group prize when everyone is finished! I'm sure what gets created will be blog worthy... their creativity makes me stand mouth agape while scratching my head.

I know, I feel horrible resorting to this but they get a little fun out of the deal after having to work hard. I don't feel the need to buy the kids lots of stuff and I feel staunchly that kids need to be diligent and have a servants attitude towards responsibility but....... Rex came up with this idea to make summer school more fun and it's been fantastic! I love it. I'm going to modify it for the next school year (which, sigh, starts in 2 weeks!)

Anyhow, this has given the kids a tangible reward for their efforts and they have risen to the challenge with a great attitude! We've even managed to fit swim team, Lego camp, VBS, piano lessons, pool parties, play dates, movies, and coming up, football summer training and basketball camp into our days and still get school done too! We also went to DC with Rex for a work trip (pics later). That's a lot to cram in!

PS- please ignore the junk accumulation on the bottom shelf. I haven't unpacked the kitchen yet! Thus the empty shelves that were available for filling. One of these days I'll post pictures of a decorated organized house...... one day. :)

1 comment:

Tara said...

We may have to try this to get done each day in a timely manner. Great idea!

Go check out a message I sent you on fb about a blog I found that has detailed ideas and resources to go with Story of the World. It was truly an answer to prayer as I was searching for a good timeline source. It just fell in my lap. But she will be doing vol 2 this year and has her resources up. I am giddy with all the possibilities!