Monday, March 12, 2012

Almost 13 yr olds, texting, humor, and pi



The time has come in my life when I must respect the bizarre humor that comes with being an independent minded almost teenager. We're coming up on a birthday VERY quickly. Sigh..... but all year long the humor has been sneaking in. It started being absurdly random, "Hey Mom, guess what?" "Um, what?" "Pumpernickle!" oooooookkkkkkkkkk. I know I deserve this. I tortured my mom too. So he and I began a back and forth running commentary that has kept me on my toes all year. Somewhere around Christmas this turned to "PI!!!!" grunted out by a burst of breath that can only come from an almost 13 yr old boy to which my homeschool brain automatically replied, "3.14". And so began the "new phase" of randomness. It had a purpose.

This morning as I was making my bed I got a text message. Rather unusual because A) I don't text well and very infrequently at that B) The few people that DO (the "kids" i work with) text me aren't usually awake this time of day. Curiosity got me and I stopped to check it.

This is what it said, "HAPDM". It was the babysitting emergency phone that we keep for the children. ? I was confused and sent back the random letters that my fingers hit first. The game. Brightened my day immediately. I got this reply, "That means, 'Have a Pi Day, Mom'." Oh. Ok. I sent back, "3.14" I got back, " Ya face. ;P" I love this kid.

13 is going to be so much fun. Especially when it's 13, 15, 16, 18...... and 5. I love when life makes me laugh.

I send profuse apologies to all my teachers, parents, and friends' parents. I have vivid memories of a conversation about how to make bug juice sandwiches using carpets squares on a car ride that lasted about 20 minutes. As I said, profuse apologies.

No comments: