Saturday, October 2, 2010

What our day looks like

I promised pictures of our school day a while ago. I have a few. Still don't have one of my actual school room. It's really just storage. I sometimes teach one child at a time in there but usually, we're "kitchen table" type homeschoolers..... with a bit of couch reading tossed in for good measure. We also pack up school and head to the science center on Fridays during Lego Team.

So, this is how we do history/geography/science!

Group projects, led by the big kids are just so fun! I always oversee it,  but I love when they can take the helm. They learn so much more and ask questions (and explore the answers too) that wouldn't come up if I did all the talking.



This is how we handle our "seatwork". Everyone at their place with their own work. Though I have now added a color coded (you're so surprised right?) binder with 5 pockets and a pencil case to the mix. We all do pocket 1 together. It just wasn't working for them to work alone for speed drills/spelling lists/cursive copywork. Time was not a focus and it became an issue. I then release them to work at their own pace and I jump in and teach when/where I need to. Explaining as we go seems to work better this year. Each year has it's own personality and I end up tweaking the schedule in September each year.


Electron does most of his math and grammar work on the computer this year. We invested in the Saxon teaching dvd and let me tell ya..... it's worth 10 times it's weight in gold! He is also doing a research report on Medieval history in some form or fashion to turn in to his writing class each week. Lego homework (and YEAH BOY! THERE'S A BUNCH!) gets done on the computer too. They are doing a medical challenge this year. This week's homework is to research how nano -technology is helping in Alzheimer's research/therapy/treatment.... or something way over my head. He's becoming quite the computer bug and TOTALLY monopolizing it most of the day. :)  He loves it and we love that.

School is a lot of fun when everyone is reading! We started the Pizza Hut Book IT! program this week, that'll get us free pizza once a month and a trophy at years' end. Everyone is doing it this year. Next year, Electron ages out. Because we didn't do it for the last 2 years due to "circumstances" this is Warrior's first year with the program. It should be a great deal of fun.

Wow! 2 posts in 1 day....... :D I'm on a roll!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am still trying to understand this program. Does he feel on par with fellow peers?

Harrell Hijinks said...

he? do you mean electron? yes, he does, i just asked him.

i'll send you an email:) perhaps i can explain it better???